Overview: Brian and Tyler talk about the new Serverless working group and whitepaper from CNCF, the 4 elements of serverless, the difference between serverless and FaaS, and the on-going role of Ops teams in a serverless world.
- CNCF Serverless Whitepaper
- Serverless Working Group in the CNCF
- Event Specification
- Innovate Summit – State of Serverless
- Serverless Landscape (via Redpoint VC)
- Kubernetes/Serverless Frameworks – Fission, Fn, Kubeless, Nuclio, OpenWhisk, OpenFaaS, Riff (and several others emerging)
- Serverless isn’t Simpler
- A Twitter Rant about Serverless and Ops
Topic 1 – Let’s talk about the history of serverless within the CNCF, and maybe within the context of PaaS and Kubernetes.
Topic 2 – When talking about Serverless, there seem to be 4 areas to dissect:
- The thing that executes the function (is this a container orchestrator)
- The data sources that can be on either side of the function execution
- The developer experience (or lack of experience)
Topic 3 – What were your key takeaways from reading the CNCF Serverless whitepaper?
Topic 4 – What about Operations? Do those jobs go away? Are there Ops uses for serverless?